Friday, April 19, 2019

First Line Fridays: The Edge of Mercy by Heidi Chiavaroli

Happy Friday!

First Line Fridays is hosted by Hoarding Books and participants share the first line from a nearby book.

Today I'm sharing the first lines from The Edge of Mercy by Heidi Chiavaroli:

"I slipped the two rings off my finger to cradle them in my palm."

Have you read this book? It's Heidi Chiavaroli's newest novel and just released earlier this month.

Read my review of The Edge of Mercy.

What are you reading this weekend?

Have a great weekend! Happy reading!


About the Book:

Two women, three hundred years apart, must face the devastation of all they hold dear...

Suspecting her husband is having an affair, Sarah Rodrigues fights to appear unbroken while attempting to salvage her family. Though distracted by her own troubles, Sarah is summoned to an elderly friend’s deathbed for an unusual request—find a long-lost daughter and relay a centuries-old family story.


Determined not to fail her friend, Sarah pieces together the story of her neighbor’s ancestor, Elizabeth Baker, a young colonist forced into an unwanted betrothal but drawn to a man forbidden by society. While Sarah’s family teeters on the edge of collapse, her world is further shaken by the interest of a caring doctor and a terrible accident that threatens a life more precious than her own.


Inspired by the unconditional love she uncovers in Elizabeth’s story, Sarah strives to forgive those who’ve wounded her soul. But when light shines on the dark secrets of her neighbor’s past and the full extent of her husband’s sins, will looking to a power greater than herself rekindle lost hope?

First Line Fridays hosted by Hoarding Books

14 comments:

  1. Edge of Mercy is making its way to the top of my TBR pile. I hope to start it next week. I shared from Of Fire And Lions by Mesu Andrews today, but here I will share from the book I received last night from UPS!

    "Elsie closed her eyes for a moment and breathed in the steamy air, imagining she stood beside Grand Pinnacle Spring instead of the massive laundry boiler in the back of the Mammoth Hot Springs Lodge." -- Ever Faithful by Karen Barnett

    Have a wonderful Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing first line - and what a pretty cover!
    On my blog, I'm sharing the first line of The Artful Match by Jennifer Delamere, but I'll share here from A Most Inconvenient Marriage by Regina Jennings. "First, you are going to write a good-bye letter to my sweetheart, and then you're going to marry me."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday!

    This week on my blog I am sharing the first few lines from All Made Up by Kara Isaac. It's such a fantastic novel. I highly recommend it. You can go to my post by clicking the link: https://tinyurl.com/Friday83. Currently, I am reading Weddings, Willows, and Revised Expectations by V. Joy Palmer. It's really good. I'm on chapter seven, so I will share a line from there.

    "Don't see me. Don't see me. Don't see me. 'Courtney!' Walk faster. Walk faster. Walk faster. 'Courtney!' Dallas yelled. 'Please! We need to talk.'"

    Hope you have a blessed Easter weekend. Happy reading! 🙂❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday! I’m sharing from my current read, Spring Magic by D.E. Stevenson. This is the first line from Chapter 18:

    “This was the day upon which Frances had been invited to take tea at the Castle, and, as always, there were half a dozen people ready and willing to advise her how to attain her objective.”

    Have a wonderful Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These lines have a sense of sadness in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely! What follows is sad... thankfully, the author injects some hope into the story! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. I love the cover--I wish we still dressed like that! :) Happy Easter Jolene!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great weekend! My first line is from "All for the Cause" by Gail Kittleson:

    "What do you say, Lilly?"

    ReplyDelete