Friday, September 13, 2019

First Line Fridays: The Enlightenment of Bees

Happy Friday!

First Line Fridays is hosted by Hoarding Books and participants share the first line from a nearby book.

Today I'm sharing the first line from The Enlightenment of Bees by Rachel Linden:

"The day my world crumbles I am dreaming about pie crust."

Have you read this book?

What are you reading this weekend?

Have a great weekend! Happy reading!


About the Book:


Sometimes a shattered dream leads to an amazing journey. 
At twenty-six, apprentice baker Mia West has her entire life planned out: a Craftsman cottage in Seattle, a job baking at The Butter Emporium, and her first love—her boyfriend, Ethan—by her side. But when Ethan declares he “needs some space,” Mia’s carefully planned future crumbles. 
Feeling adrift, Mia joins her vivacious housemate Rosie on a humanitarian trip around the world funded by a reclusive billionaire. Along with a famous grunge rock star, a Rwandan immigrant, and an unsettlingly attractive Hawaiian urban farmer named Kai, Mia and Rosie embark on the adventure of a lifetime.
From the slums of Mumbai to a Hungarian border camp during the refugee crisis, Mia’s heart is challenged and changed in astonishing ways—ways she never could have imagined. As she grapples with how to make a difference in a complicated world, Mia realizes she must choose between the life she thought she wanted and the life unfolding before her.
In a romantic adventure across the globe, The Enlightenment of Bees beautifully explores what it means to find the sweet spot in life where our greatest passions meet the world’s greatest need.

First Line Fridays hosted by Hoarding Books

15 comments:

  1. I have read this one! It wasn't quite what I was expecting but it was an enjoyable read.

    I'm sharing the first line from One Final Breath at my blog but right now I'm reading WayFarer by Janalyn Voigt, so I'll share that line first line with you. An indrawn breath alerted Kai.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't read my copy yet. It's still sitting in my crazy tbr stack. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. This book has been on my radar for some time!! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday!

    Today on my blog I am sharing the first line from Finders Keepers by Sarah Monzon: https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2019/09/12/first-line-friday-101/. It's such a good book. Currently, I am reading book 2 in the series, All of You, so I will share a line from there.

    "England, 1944
    The gangplank bounced under the weight of passengers disembarking the large transatlantic liner -- a veritable Goliath to the small David-like tugboats dotting the harbor."

    Hope you have a great weekend. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of Sarah Monzon's books, but I've heard so much about them, I'd like to give one a try. Enjoy your reading!

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday! My first line is from “Hold Me” by Alexa Verde:

    “Aileen McKenzie might not make it.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Friday! Today on my blog I shared the first line from Shades of Light by Sharon Garlough Brown but I'm currently reading My Dearest Dietrich by Amanda Barratt so I'll share the first line from chapter 7 here: "Like a rent in fabric formerly whole, the wake of her vater's absence yawned wide and gaping." Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so much about My Dearest Dietrich, but haven't read it myself. Enjoy your reading and your reading!

      Delete
  6. Happy Friday! I'm sharing from Belinda Blake and the Wolf in Sheep's Clothing by Heather Day Gilbert on my blog today, so here is another line from the first page:

    "I cozied up on my blue couch, setting my warm mug of Arabica coffee on the low table in front of me."

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first line is from The Spice King by Elizabeth Camden

    May 1900 Washington D.C.
    Annabelle Larkin hadn’t meant to offend the world’s leading spice tycoon with her bold request, yet it seemed she had.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover doesn't seem to match the story. Is it just a "normal" romance like the blurb indicates? Or is there some deeper stuff, more like a "literary fiction"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is actually still sitting on my TBR stack, so I can't say for sure. What I have seen others saying about it, is that is it more general fiction with a dash of romance. But again, I'm not sure as I haven't read it myself yet.

      Delete