Friday, November 15, 2019

First Line Fridays: One More River to Cross by Jane Kirkpatrick

Happy Friday!

First Line Fridays is hosted by Hoarding Books and participants share the first line from a nearby book.

Today I'm sharing the first line from the prologue of One More River to Cross by Jane Kirkpatrick:

"Mary Sullivan stood outside the circle of men, watched through the triangle of elbows as they nodded and commented about the markings the Paiute drew in the dirt."

Are you interested in reading this book? Read my review of One More River to Cross or read an excerpt on the publisher's website.

What are you reading this weekend?

Have a great weekend! Happy reading!


About the Book:


Adversity can squelch the human spirit . . . or it can help us discover strength we never knew we had.

In 1844, two years before the Donner Party, the Stephens-Murphy-Townsend company leaves Missouri to be the first wagons into California through the Sierra Nevada. They enjoy a safe journey--until October, when a fierce mountain snowstorm forces difficult decisions.


The party separates in three directions. Some go overland around Lake Tahoe. Others stay to guard the heaviest wagons. The rest of the party, including eight women and seventeen children, huddle in a makeshift cabin at the headwaters of the Yuba River awaiting rescue. The months ahead will be long and at times terrifying. But with friendship, family, and enough courage to overcome their fear, these intrepid pioneers will discover what truly matters in times of trial.


First Line Fridays hosted by Hoarding Books

7 comments:

  1. Over on my blog, I am sharing 4-fabulous first lines from the just-released-today new book, The Highlanders (A Smitten Historical Romance Collection). Do stop by and check it out! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday!

    Today on my blog I'm sharing the first line from Diamond in the Rough by Jen Turano:https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2019/11/14/first-line-friday-110/. It's SO good. I'm currently on chapter 17, so I'll share the first line from there.

    "Can't thank you enough, Reginald, for insisting on accompanying Poppy and me as we search for that peddler," Murray said from the far side of the sleigh, staunchly ignoring the frown Poppy, who was squished in between Reginald and Murray, was sending him.

    Hope you have a great weekend filled with awesome reading time. 🙂❤📖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! May you have a weekend blessed with lots of reading time as well!

      Delete
  3. Happy Friday! My first line is from “Because of You” by Becky Wade:

    “Maddie Winslow met the man of her dreams the same day that her friend Olivia introduced Maddie to her new boyfriend. Which would have been splendid, except that the man of Maddie’s dreams was Olivia’s new boyfriend.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. This week on my blog I shared the first line from Heart of a Royal by Hannah Currie. It's also my current read so I'll share the first line from chapter 22 here: "The reception had been going on for hours--and no one seemed in any rush to end it." Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds intense! I am not much for fiction but I think I might be interested in this one. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete