Friday, February 21, 2020

First Line Fridays: Veiled in Smoke by Jocelyn Green

Happy Friday! 

First Line Fridays is hosted by Hoarding Books and participants share the first line from a nearby book.

Today, I'm sharing the first line from Veiled in Smoke by Jocelyn Green:

"Meg's father was gone. Again."

Have you read this book? Book blurb below and you can read my review here.

What are you reading this weekend? I'd love for you to share your book's first line!

Happy reading!


About the Book:

The Flames Took So Much.
She Can't Lose Her Father As Well.

Meg Townsend and her sister, Sylvie, seek a quiet existence managing the family bookshop. Meg feels responsible for caring for their father, Stephen, whose spirit and health are both damaged from his time as a prisoner during the Civil War. Her one escape is the paintings she creates and sells in the bookshop.

Then the Great Fire sweeps through Chicago's business district. The fiery explosions and chaos stir up memories of war for Stephen as he runs from the blaze and becomes separated from his daughters. Days later, when the smoke has cleared, Meg and Sylvie manage to reunite with him. Their home and shop are lost, and what's left among the ashes may be even more threatening than the flames, for they learn that a close friend was murdered the night of the fire--and Stephen has been charged with the crime. After he is committed to the Cook County Insane Asylum, where they cannot visit him, Stephen feels as lost to them as the shop that now lies in rubble.

Though homeless and suddenly unemployed, Meg must not only gather the pieces of her shattered life but prove the truth of what happened that night, before the asylum truly drives her father mad.



First Line Fridays hosted by Hoarding Books

7 comments:

  1. My first lines are from Collision of Lies by Tom Threadgill
    Thirty Seconds. If they were still arguing, she’d call the cops then. Let the professionals deal with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds tense! Enjoy your reading time this weekend!

      Delete
  2. I've seen that book around a lot lately. I'm currently reading A Heart Rearranged by Elizabeth Maddrey and the first line is "Why are you in here?" I hope you have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday! On my blog I'm sharing the first line from a Mary Connealy book, Woman of Sunlight. Here's the next line:

    "Her face was peppered with half-healed blisters left from having chicken pox, but she resisted the urge to slap her hands over her scabby cheeks."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Saturday! 😊
    Yesterday I shared the first few lines from Blind Dates, Bridesmaids, and Other Disasters by Aspen Hadley. I'm just starting chapter 10, so I'll share a line from there.
    "Sunday night I was lounging in the comfy over-stuffed chair in the corner of my room, flipping through an old copy of Pride and Prejudice that I'd read a few times."
    Hope you have a great weekend filled with awesome reading time. ❤📖

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Weekend! My first line is from "The Fifth Avenue Story Society" by Rachel Hauck:

    "Well this was a fine mess."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this book on a few FLFs recently, the cover is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete