Friday, July 24, 2020

First Line Fridays: A Foreign Crown by Jen Geigle Johnson

Happy Friday! 

First Line Fridays is hosted by Hoarding Books and participants share the first line from a nearby book.

Today, I'm sharing the first line from A Foreign Crown by Jen Geigle Johnson.

"The mist over the water cleared enough that Prince Layton Christian Wilhelm could see through his spyglass the Jolly Roger unfurl off the topmast of the enemy ship."

A Foreign Crown releases August 3, 2020. Book blurb below and my review is coming soon.

What are you reading this weekend? I'd love for you to share your book's first line!

Happy reading!



About the Book:

Following a devastating series of misfortunes, Lady Aribella Bardsley has bravely shouldered the responsibilities of her household. But just as the bleakness of her situation threatens to overwhelm her, a summons arrives from the Queen with a providential offer: Aribella’s presence is requested as a lady-in-waiting at the palace. 


Prince Layton Wilhelm’s family has clung to their neutrality in the war for far too long. As the youngest of the King of Oldenburg’s eight sons, Layton is determined to prove his worth and is unwilling to turn a blind eye to Napoleon’s encroaching privateers. When Layton embarks on a journey to England, it is for one purpose: to petition the British navy for aid. But when he becomes acquainted with the lovely Lady Aribella, he cannot deny their powerful connection. Amid the intrigues and schemes within the walls of the palace, Layton and Aribella know a future together is impossible—but torn between loyalty and love, will they risk everything to follow their hearts?



First Line Fridays hosted by Hoarding Books

16 comments:

  1. Uh oh...he saw a pirate ship? Good opening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday!

    I love this first line, and I'm definitely intrigued to know what's going to happen next.

    On my blog this week, I'm sharing the first line from Remembering the Cowboy by Mandi Blake:

    "Camille Vanderbilt was back in Wyoming on a mission: find Noah Harding."

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a good weekend with plenty of reading time! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh boy, sounds like it's about to get interesting!!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty cover!

    I'm currently reading Georgana's Secret by Arlem Hawks (a very cool name, btw). I'm on chapter 12, so I'll share the first line from there: "Seawater made poor wash water." I think I'd have to agree! Hope you have an excellent weekend. 🙂❤📚

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Friday! I've been in the mood to read my old Victorian novels, so my first line is from "St. Elmo" by author Augusta J. Evans. This is not the actual first line, but one that I like for how descriptive it is:

    "Until her wild song waked echoes among the far-off rocks, the holy hush of early morning had rested like a benediction upon the scene, as though nature laid her broad finger over her great lips, and waited in reverent silence the advent of the sun."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen that book around quite a bit lately. I'm currently between books. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Friday!!

    Over on my blog I am sharing the first line from Start with Me by Kara Isaac.
    "Of course, this latest allegation has been a huge shock to all of us."

    https://www.musingsofasassybookishmama.com/2020/07/first-line-fridays-start-with-me.html

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds interesting! Thank you for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first line is from DON’T KEEP SILENT by Elizabeth Goddard
    Denver, Colorado
    Dread warred with hope as Rae Burke shivered in the cold outside on the porch.

    ReplyDelete