Monday, November 13, 2023

Movie Review: Surprised by Oxford

 About the Movie:




Caro Drake, a brilliant but emotionally guarded American student, arrives at the University of Oxford with the goal of attaining her PhD. Through a turbulent friendship with a charming young man, she begins to open herself up to mystery, vulnerability, and love.

Surprised by Oxford is available to purchase or rent during the month of November!


Watch the Trailer:




My Thoughts:

Watching Surprised by Oxford reminded me of my English major days. Academic discussion about Romantic period authors such as Donne, Milton, and Shelley delighted my literature-loving heart, but clever narrative ensured viewer understanding for those unfamiliar with these authors.


I also enjoyed the visual footage of Oxford University. This old landmark, full of academia, history, and stories untold, created an enchanting setting for Carolyn Weber’s faith journey. Her personal development unfolded as the movie explored Caro’s struggle to acknowledge that intellect, while wonderful and necessary, does not explain everything. Likable characters surrounded Caro and bits of humor made me smile. The love story was a miss for me, but obviously it worked well for the real-life Webers. 


Caro’s post-grad experience held some grit. There’s profanity (no F-bomb), other crude language, and sexual innuendo. While it seemed edgy for a faith-based movie, it’s pretty tame compared to college experiences of today. I didn’t like the language and innuendo, but it didn’t make me turn the movie off. More conservative viewers may want to avoid the movie, while others may not be bothered by this content.


Surprised by Oxford is adapted from Carolyn Weber’s memoir of the same title, which is now on my wish list. I didn’t realize until the end credits that the real Carolyn Weber makes a cameo as a professor discussing C. S. Lewis.


Disclaimer of Material Connection: Many thanks to Evolve Studios for providing a sample of the product for this review. Opinions are 100% my own.


Learn more about SURPRISED BY OXFORD:



Giveaway:



One reader of this post will receive free Vimeo download code to watch the film. US only. Giveaway ends 11/16/2023 at 11:59 A. M. EST.

Enter by leaving a comment on this post that includes your full name and email address.

No comments:

Post a Comment