Friday, May 17, 2019

First Line Fridays: The Crossing at Cypress Creek

Happy Friday!

First Line Fridays is hosted by Hoarding Books and participants share the first line from a nearby book.

Today I'm sharing the first lines from The Crossing at Cypress Creek by Pam Hillman:

"Caleb O'Shea jerked awake to utter stillness."

The Crossing at Cypress Creek releases June 4, 2019, and I recently reviewed it! Check out my review here.

What are you reading this weekend?

Have a great weekend! Happy reading!


About the Book:

Sailing and soldiering around the world has taken Caleb O’Shea far from his native Ireland, so he never imagined that a promise to see a fellow crewman safely home would practically land him on his brother’s doorstep. After spending years away from his family, Caleb isn’t certain what kind of reception he will receive when he steps foot in Natchez, Mississippi. The one thing he knows for sure is that he won’t stay long.

Since her sister was kidnapped by river pirates six months ago, Alanah Adams has taken special care to avoid drawing attention to herself. Those living in the rough-and-tumble settlement of Cypress Creek might even think she’s addled. But when she stumbles into Caleb and his friends in Natchez, she appears to be the picture-perfect lady.


Caleb only catches glimpses of the mysterious and beautiful Alanah before she disappears. But a chance encounter with her at his brother’s logging camp near Cypress Creek leaves him uncomfortable at the thought of the young woman traversing the dangerous area alone. At a crossroads in his life, Caleb must decide whether he wants to give up the worldly adventures he’s been seeking for one closer to home.

First Line Fridays hosted by Hoarding Books

16 comments:

  1. Happy Friday! My first line is from "When He Returns" by author Kimberly Rae Jordan, which I haven't started, but hope to start reading soon:

    Prologue
    "Dalton Callaghan stared at the gleaming wood casket at the front of the chapel, the profile of his friend just barely visible over the edge as he lay there."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very glad today is Friday! It has been a long week! Over on my blog, I'm sharing the first line from Michelle Griep's new book, The Noble Guardian. Here I'll share the first line of a book that is on my #TBR mountain.

    "Tommy, wait!" Carly Blair screeched as she bounded off the depot platform after her brother.
    Mail Order Refuge by Cindy Regnier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently reading and loving The Noble Guardian! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Happy Friday!

    Today on my blog I am sharing the first couple of lines from The Printed Letter Bookshop by Katherine Reay. It's a fabulous story that I highly recommend. Currently, I am just starting Wooing Cadie McCaffrey by the fantastic Bethany Turner so I will share a line from that book.

    "What a difference four years can make."

    I hope your weekend is a great one. Happy reading! 🤗💙📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wooing Cadie McCaffrey is on my TBR stack! Happy reading!

      Delete
  4. I'll hopefully be reading this one too!
    On my blog today I shared the first line from Living Lies by Natalie Walters. Here I'll hare the first line from The Heart of a King by Jill Eileen Smith which I just received in the mail yesterday :) "The teacher looked at his scroll, light dancing in little ringlets over the words from the flickering candle at his side." Hope you have a great weekend! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy reading Friday!
    My first line is from The King’s Mercy by Lori Benton:

    July 1747
    Cape Fear River, Colony of North Carolina

    Alex MacKinnon roused to the press of wood beneath his cheek and an ominous churning in his gut.

    My next read is Cypress Creek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I'm eager to read The King's Mercy. I was just introduced to Lori Benton's books earlier this year. Happy reading!

      Delete
  6. I love the covers of these books in this series! Happy Friday Jolene!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder what woke him?

    Today on my blog, I’m sharing the first line from The Social Tutor by Sally Britton. Here, I’ll share the line from the top of the page I’m currently reading:

    In the dark, he had to imagine her expression, though he thought it must be one of eagerness, likely with one of her larger smiles curving her pink lips upward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't say what woke him. :) Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. Happy Friday! I'm sharing from The Cowboy Meets His Match by Margaret Brownley on my blog today. Here is the first line from Chapter 12 of my current read, Becoming Mrs. Lewis by Patti Callahan:

    "The second day in Oxford arrived, luminescent, the honey-hues of sunlight falling from the leaves to settle on the grass like spilled paint."

    ReplyDelete