Saturday, July 20, 2019

Book Review: The Baggage Handler by David Rawlings

About the Book:

When three people take the wrong suitcase from baggage claim, their lives change forever. 

A hothead businessman coming to the city for a showdown meeting to save his job.


A mother of three hoping to survive the days at her sister's house before her niece’s wedding.


And a young artist pursuing his father’s dream so he can keep his own alive.


When David, Gillian, and Michael each take the wrong suitcase from baggage claim, the airline directs them to retrieve their bags at a mysterious facility in a deserted part of the city. There they meet the enigmatic Baggage Handler, who shows them there is more in their baggage than what they have packed, and carrying it with them is slowing them down in ways they can’t imagine. And they must deal with it before they can leave.


In this modern-day parable about the burdens that weigh us down, David Rawlings issues an inspiring invitation to lighten the load.


My Thoughts:

The Baggage Handler by David Rawlings is good in so many ways. First, I found the story addictive, not wanting to put it down. It was easy to read even as it jumped around between the stories of David, Gillian, and Michael. Second, I could identify with parts of each character's struggle. I saw a bit of myself in each of them. Lastly, it was emotionally potent for me as I have some emotional baggage. Don't be surprised if The Baggage Handler makes you cry. I sure did.

I recommend The Baggage Handler by David Rawlings to readers who enjoy inspirational fiction. It's as short, but powerful book. If I described it in one word, it would be: moving. It is not a blatantly Christian book, but there are clear parallels between The Baggage Handler and Jesus, if you are a Christian and chose to take it that way.




1 comment:

  1. I've heard good things about this book! I love inspirational fiction.

    ReplyDelete