Friday, July 12, 2019

First Line Fridays: A Reluctant Bride by Jody Hedlund

Happy Friday!

First Line Fridays is hosted by Hoarding Books and participants share the first line from a nearby book.

Today I'm sharing the first lines from A Reluctant Bride by Jody Hedlund:

"Hang on a little longer, my lamb."

Have you read this book? It's been on my TBR for awhile, so I'm hoping to read it soon!

What are you reading this weekend?

Have a great weekend! Happy reading!


About the Book:


Living in London's poorest slum, Mercy Wilkins has little hope of a better life. When she's offered an opportunity to join a bride ship sailing to British Columbia, she agrees. After witnessing so much painful heartache and loss in the slums, the bride ship is her only prospect to escape a bleak future, not only for herself but, she hopes, someday for her sister.

Wealthy and titled Joseph Colville leaves home and takes to the sea in order to escape the pain of losing his family. As ship's surgeon, he's in charge of the passengers' welfare aboard the Tynemouth, including sixty brides-to-be. He has no immediate intention of settling down, but when Mercy becomes his assistant, the two must fight against a forbidden love. 


With hundreds of single men congregating on the shore eager to claim a bride from the Tynemouth, will Mercy and Joseph lose their chance at true love, or will they be able to overcome the obstacles that threaten to keep them apart?

First Line Fridays hosted by Hoarding Books

13 comments:

  1. Happy Friday!

    Today on my blog I'm sharing the first couple of lines from No Greater Love by Gina Holder. It's a really good book! I'm currently on chapter 25, so I'll share the first line from there.

    "If his sister fluffed his pillow one more time, Hamilton was going to lose his last shred of sanity."

    Hope you have an excellent weekend. 😀❤📚

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that book I hope you get to read it soon!
    Today on my blog I'm featuring the first line from No Greater Love by Gina Holder but It's also my current read so I'll share the first line from chapter 15 here: "Kathleen tucked her legs under the steering wheel of her rental." Hope you have a great weekend with lots of reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday! My first line is from "Edge of Truth" by Kimberly Rose Johnson:

    "The hair on Kara Nelson's neck prickled as she sat behind the wheel of her car parked near the Miami Beach Marina. Something wasn't right."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first two books in the Orphan Train series by this author and am hoping to get to the third soon. This book looks good, too! I am reading Hello Again by Heather Tullis. I am currently on chapter 29 so I will share that first line here: “In the morning as Piper got ready for work she glanced out the window and noticed Spencer’s carpool ride was pulling up to the building. I hope you have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved her Orphan Train series! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. Happy Friday! I'm sharing from The Crossing at Cypress Creek by Pam Hillman on my blog today. I'm only a few pages in, and this is my favorite line so far:

    "Her stomach did a slow roll at the unexpected lilt of an Irish brogue."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve heard great things about this book! An intriguing story premise. :)

    Today I’m sharing on my blog the first line from The Art of Rivers by Janet W. Ferguson.

    Love, like art, took on different forms with each creator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even imagine how hard it would be to make that choice. So much suffering everywhere.

    ReplyDelete