Friday, July 19, 2019

First Line Fridays: The Baggage Handler by David Rawlings

Happy Friday!

First Line Fridays is hosted by Hoarding Books and participants share the first line from a nearby book.

Today I'm sharing the first lines from The Baggage Handler by David Rawlings:

"The sense of dread that began with Becky's email pressed Gillian Short deep into her seat as passengers filed past her down the aisle, a line of eye-rubbing yawns and bounding impatience."

Have you read this book? I just read it this past Sunday for my local book club's July meeting. If you follow me on social media, you might know it made me do the ugly cry! It's a small book with a powerful message that was especially potent for me because of my personal issues. Highly recommend for anyone.

What are you reading this weekend?

Have a great weekend! Happy reading!

About the Book:

When three people take the wrong suitcase from baggage claim, their lives change forever. 


A hothead businessman coming to the city for a showdown meeting to save his job.
A mother of three hoping to survive the days at her sister's house before her niece’s wedding.
And a young artist pursuing his father’s dream so he can keep his own alive.
When David, Gillian, and Michael each take the wrong suitcase from baggage claim, the airline directs them to retrieve their bags at a mysterious facility in a deserted part of the city. There they meet the enigmatic Baggage Handler, who shows them there is more in their baggage than what they have packed, and carrying it with them is slowing them down in ways they can’t imagine. And they must deal with it before they can leave.
In this modern-day parable about the burdens that weigh us down, David Rawlings issues an inspiring invitation to lighten the load.

First Line Fridays hosted by Hoarding Books

8 comments:

  1. Happy Friday! My first line is from "Kate's Song" by Jennifer Beckstrand:

    "Is he dead? Please tell me he's not dead!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite an interesting story! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently reading an ARC of The Bridge Between by Lindsey Brackett. Here's the first line -- She still had trouble sleeping.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday!

    On my blog I'm sharing the first line from Underestimating Miss Cecelia by Carolyn Miller: https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2019/07/18/first-line-friday-94/.

    Today, I'm currently reading The Spice King by Elizabeth Camden. It's an excellent story that I highly recommend! I'm just starting chapter 34, so I'll share from there.

    "Gray rarely took the time to read The Washington Post first thing in the morning."

    Hope you have an excellent weekend!!! 😀❤📚

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not normally a fan of allegory, but I thought The Baggage Handler was excellent - and I can see why it would lead to the ugly cry.

    I'm sharing the first line from Underestimating Miss Cecilia by Carolyn Miller on my blog today - it seems to be a popular choice!

    I'm currently reading Fatal Strike by DiAnn Mills. Here's the first line:

    Special Agent Leah Riesel scanned the headlines on her phone.

    That's a little underwhelming, but the first chapter includes a shoot-out in a hostage situation, so it ramps up the action quickly.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Friday! Since I’m sharing from chapter 1 of Yours Truly, Thomas by Rachel Fordham on my blog today, here is the first line from the prologue:

    “After letting an involuntary squeal escape, Penny pulled the yellowed papers closer and pressed her lips to them.”

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this one a while ago and found it really thought-provoking!
    Today on my blog I shared the first line from Storm Rising by Ronie Kendig but I'm currently reading Fragments of Fear by Carrie Stuart Parks so I'll share the first line from my current chapter (8) here: "Marley was sitting by the door in the living room when Travis returned." Hope you have a great weekend with plenty of reading time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading this book. My teen son, who isn’t a big reader, read it in an afternoon and is looking forward to reading David’s next book!

    I’m sharing on my blog the first line from At First Spark by Liwen Y. Ho.

    Darren Spark never imagined that one person could make him feel so happy and sad all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete